Wednesday, September 26, 2012

What's Cookin' Wednesdays: Pumpkin Bread

Pin It Now!
So I teased everyone Monday on my FACEBOOK PAGE about my house smelling like Fall. Well since this past weekend was the start of Fall, I HAD to get into the spirit! And what better way to start than by making Pumpkin Bread. I adapted my own recipe from one called Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread. Reviewers raved that this bread is even better the day after. They weren't kidding!! I'm actually stuffing my face as we speak...No seriously, I just can't get enough.


INGREDIENTS (yields 2 loaves):
1 15oz can pumpkin puree
4 eggs
*8 oz applesauce (I used unsweetened)
2/3 c water
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/2 c sugar
3 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
2 TBS pumpkin pie spice (recipe below)
* The original recipe calls for 1 cup of vegetable oil. I replaced the oil with applesauce. You can use either or. 
 
 Pumpkin Pie Spice:
3 tbs ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp nutmeg
1 1/2 tsp ground allspice
1 1/2 tsp ground cloves
(Combine spices in small bowl, mix well to combine. Store in a small jar or spice container.)

Start by preheating oven to 350 F. Then grease and flour 2 loaf pans. I believe mine are 9x5.
One glass and one metal..They both work!

In a bowl, combine pumpkin, eggs, applesauce (or oil), water, vanilla, and sugar. Mix well using an electric mixer or stand mixer if you like to get all fancy.

In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice using a whisk.

Add dry ingredients to pumpkin mixture and stir until well blended. 

Pour batter into prepared pans evenly. Bake for 60 min or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. 

I gave one loaf to the hubby to take to work and he's says it's a big hit with the co-workers. Nothing like a bunch of dirty manly men standing around eating pumpkin bread! This definitely is my go-to snack with a tall glass of milk. Delicious!!

Do you have YOUR favorite fall recipe?? 

No comments:

Post a Comment