Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Bye-Bye Deodorant!!

Pin It Now!

Okay, it's not what you think. I didn't completely get rid of deodorant, I have a horrible fear of being smelly. I only ditched the aluminum filled, deadly, cancerous causing, commercial ones.




Why (or what) in the world brought me to this?? Well as I mentioned, almost all commercial/traditional deodorants (non natural) contain one HUGE main ingredient, ALUMINUMThis acts as an antiperspirant which helps stop the sweaty stinkyness we can develop throughout the day. Doesn't sound so bad right?? But this stuff is B-A-A-A-A-D!!!! Scientists have found that aluminum mimics estrogen  hormones and can contribute to the the development of breast cancer! It is also linked to Alzheimer's disease. Not to mention it clogs the ducts in our pits to stop us from sweating..We are humans, we are MADE to SWEAT! We need some way of releasing all the bad stuff from our bodies...Why would we want to keep it all in??

I have no clue, but I made up my mind real quick. And now to the fun stuff..All Natural Deodorant. Sounds great rolling of the tongue. Okay...I'm exaggerating a tad bit. But, I'm on WEEK TWO of using it and I must say the results are...AMAZING! It's like freaking hocus pocus magic. I don't smell at ALL. Who would have thought? I even tried getting my husband to smell my armpits (still trying) but to no avail. He hates me...haha

And really, when I first read up on all natural deodorant I thought, "What the heck? What do you do? Rub some pine cones under there??". Seriously.. I had no clue it was so easy to make and you probably already have these ingredients in your home (and didn't even know it): Baking soda, corn starch, and coconut oil (plus any essential oils you want for smelly goodness). I use tea tree and lavender.
Yes that is a pimento jar I have re-purposed..

Now...Since I live in South Texas and we are blessed with heat AND God awful humidity, I have had to modify the recipe. But, to start (cause I can never wait) I've been trying a basic cream type recipe and it's been working fine. I just give it a good rub in the 'ole pitters and I'm ready to go!


Coconut oil: Has a melting point of 76 degrees F. and is used for SO MANY things!!! You'd be amazed and surprised, I sure was! Here are over 50 uses for it.

Baking soda: Acts as a deodorizer (we all knew that). But please be wary, those with sensitive skin might break out in a rash or even get a chemical burn from using it. Use very little, omit, or replace with a clay (bentonite or other).

Cornstarch: Also helps in deodorizing but can also be an irritant. Switch with arrow root powder for better results. 

Essential Oils: Make everything smell nice and pretty. A lot of them even have healing agents and are bacteria fighters (bacteria makes is what makes us smelly). I use Tea Tree essential oil because it helps in fighting that nasty bacteria. You can also put in any others, but stay away from citrus cause it might irritate the skin. 


As I said before, I have modified my recipe to suit my needs (and because of the stupid heat). So I will update with a full COMPLETE recipe when I have made it!! Hope I sparked some interest and feel free to comment with any questions or concerns :)

No comments:

Post a Comment